Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Eight of Swords



As I started using my Tarot cards more and more, this card frequently reared its head. I'd ask what to do about my flagging self-motivation and finishing a project, and *ta-daaaaaah*, there it would be. And the Eight of Swords reflects how I feel about my seeming inability to finish anything--it really is all in my head.

The woman in the picture is all tied up in briar, trapped and confined, and added to that, she's blindfolded. She cannot see what options are open to her in order to get out of this unfortunate situation. She cannot see that there is a sword at her fingertips, if only she would let go of the fear, unclench those fists, and extend her fingers. Alas, she feels helpless, a victim of circumstance unable to do anything about it, and so she feels the best thing to do is wait to be rescued.

But while the sweetbriar is spiky and prickly, it is also sweet, giving off a fragrance reminiscent of apples and is quite beautiful in bloom. There is a promise in the single rose blossom. I've also drawn a raven perched on one of the swords. A raven is a creature of the air, the element of the swords suit, and I like this page on raven symbolism. These birds normally bring to mind death, but they are also known for their intelligence and in many traditions symbolize knowledge and wisdom and can even be taught to speak. As Avia Venefica says, they can often be heard croaking out sounds like cras, cras, which in Latin means "tomorrow." I like to think of that when I look at this card: the bird is telling the woman that this period of helplessness and sorrow will not last forever. This, too, shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment